Skip to main content

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.

  As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am taking this semester.  Seeing as how I haven't read all of them at the time of the poster's creation or the writing of this post, I trusted the judgment of my teacher's choices that these were all good reads (especially since the first one, Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, was quite enjoyable.  

  There were three copies of this same poster that were all placed in different locations of my school in the hopes that passerby would see them.  The first was set on a bulletin board in the science wing's stairwell on the second floor.  The second was hung near a few other posters in the Main Wing by the Student Affair's Office.  And the last copy was placed in the stairwell where the Main Wing reaches the New Wing.  Of course, these were all set in these locations after I got permission to do so by the Dean of Students, Mr. Chandler.

  In the end, I believe my project went quite well.  At the time of writing this blog post, I still enjoy the design that I went along with to make this poster happen.  From what I have heard from those I asked, the poster has a good design, and I hope the effect lasts with other people that view it.  I also think that it was a good choice to not go with the other options for this project as I could see how it could have gone wrong.  I am unsure of whether my efforts to help people to read will work, but I do think it's possible for someone to pick up one of the books I listed on my poster.

Comments

  1. Hey Joe, I really like that poster design. It's simple but nice and already caught my eye on Friday. I think these posters will catch more eyes in the hall and will hopefully make more students read these books or take Contemporary Lit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you did not try and overdo the posters by putting way to much on them, but instead took the simple approach. It is an easy to read poster with a clear and concise message. The posters around the school hopefully caught some peoples eyes and encouraged them to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The text and design of your poster is great and very crisp. It is something that students here would definently be drawn to if they saw it. Maybe you could have a survey to see if your poster actually made an impression on the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the design of your poster. I think that its flashy but subtle at the same time. It will definitely be noticed by kids around the school. I also like where you put the posters. Those are popular places around the school and I think a lot of people will see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta