Skip to main content

Infographic Debate Project - Offensiveness Behind Sports Team Names

Description:
My infographic showcases how sports teams that use Native American names are seen as offensive.  I give the viewer some quotes from readers of an article that all agree with how these teams names and mascots offend and flat out insult Native Americans.  I then showcase graphs that represent the percentage of voters based on certain questions, relating to the football team "The Redskins", asked to them.  For my last bit of information, I refer any viewers of my infographic to the leading organizations responsible for the cause of changing offensive sport team names while also giving a brief description of each.

Reflection:
Michael Argenta and I chose this topic for our infographic debate project because we both believed there would be enough information for us to each argue either side of the main question.  Since my partner said he could go either way with the project, I decided to choose the more obvious side of the argument since I believed his capabilities, to search for information that would be slightly harder to find, were greater than my own.  My personal opinion about the question at hand, "is it offensive to use Native American names and mascots?", is that I neither agree nor deny with the question.  I believe it depends on the team and how they use their aliases makes them offensive or not.

It was slightly difficult to look at only one end of an argument, especially since I agreed with both ends of it.  There was also the matter that when I looked for one side of the conversation, I found the other to make one seem stronger, but nonetheless, I found both ends when looking for one.

My Infographic was based on one of the examples I deemed fit for the subject I had chosen with my partner.  However, I did adjust it to fit my own standards as well as making it seem balanced, abstract, and colorful.  The most difficult parts about making it was making and placing the graphs and the overall system for typing.  For the graphs, they never wanted to be the size I wanted them but they came out alright.  As for the typing, whenever I tried typing one letter it would delete another, just making the entire process more complicated than it had to be.

I believe the organization and design should lure in and convince any that view my infographic.  The overall design I believe is appealing and pleasant to look at, which could definitely improve interest in those reading through it.  Through this method, I think that those that observe my infographic will come to the side of it and approve of its method.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.   As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am tak