Skip to main content

Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore Review

Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan follows the main character, Clay Jannon, in a series of events relating to a mysterious bookstore in San Fransisco.  This bookstore is owned by Mr. Penumbra, a lanky old man who is also surprisingly physically able. Mr. Penumbra offers Clay a job as a night shift check out clerk and he accepts.  During his time in the bookstore, Clay sees some odd faces come in and out, borrowing these ancient large leather-bound books from the back of the bookstore. Soon enough, Clay looks at one of these books, even when he was instructed not to, and what he sees inside sparks his curiosity and he is then sent onto a series of mysterious events leading to an eventual amazing revelation.
As stated in the previous paragraph, there are many events that occur in this book, each one making the story more complex and intriguing.  At one point, Clay is solving a complex puzzle just to see if he can, then not long after he’s traveling to an underground sanctum at midnight in the hopes of sneaking around.  This is something I love about this book because it never gives the reader a break. There are always plot twists and cliff hangers at the ends of pages or chapters. Chapters would end by revealing a huge discovery for both Clay and the reader, but then all of a sudden a new problem occurs or a question comes up, “Behind the curving golden type, Penumbra has disappeared.” (Sloan, 97).  I remember always being at the edge of my seat because I was just trying to guess what would happen next without reading ahead by using this new information that was just given to me.
Another thing I liked about this book, was how each character was created.  In your average story, the characters have a background and their characteristics, but in this book, it feels as though there’s more than that.  Although that is exactly all they have in this story, it’s still as if they have more to themselves than just a description. Somehow, each main character seems like they are real people.  One great example of this would be Kat, as she was described as stagnant but still is described in-depth thus proving how greatly each character is made, “This is an interesting girl. Kat’s utter directness suggests homeschooling, yet she is also completely charming.” (Sloan, 59).  It could be due to how they have even more details than the average story character, but I believe it has to do with the plot of the book itself. Maybe it’s because, at one point, the message of the book was “books are magic” but I think it has to be because of an underlying theme that is “books preserve life”.  This isn’t in the literal sense of course (as many in the story think it is), it’s more of how books keep records of how things were structured at the time they were made. With this in mind, I believe this book keeps a record of the time and also creates a realistic universe in which the characters could have been real people.
Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan is a good read that is worth the time it takes to finish it.  It offers many points to keep the reader interested by always revealing answers, but at the same time offering new questions.  There are many plot twists and cliff hangers that will have the reader remain involved. Each main character is made in-depth due to the overall plot of the story, and there is always at least one with the narrator to keep things interesting.  All of these characters feel complicated as well, as though they could have been real people. With all this in mind, I would definitely recommend this book to any interested and curious readers out there. Reading in segments improves the experience, and with that in mind I say “Festina Lente”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.   As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am tak