Skip to main content

Dark Matter Book Review

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch is an intriguing novel that brings aspects such as the multiverse, fate, and choices together to create the intense plot that ruminates within the novel.  Crouch does this by having the narrator, Jason Dessen, interact and learn about all these elements mentioned.  Another interesting thing about this book is that the action starts right away with a sudden kidnapping that doesn’t make sense until much later.  Along with this, there really isn’t much that cannot be spoiled, which only adds to how much of a fascinating rollercoaster plot is within this story.
This lack of summary due to spoilers is an interesting way to view this novel.  As previously stated, it emphasizes the plots of the ability to change the reader's mood continuously.  This “rollercoaster” as I put it previously really is just a jumble of crazy events that make this story what it is.  All of these random events seem unique and separate, but it’s not until the latter part of the book where all of these seem to fit together.  It’s a unique way to look at it, but as Jason says, “There’s a connection here, and it’s getting stronger every day.” (Crouch, 309).  This effect of jumping between moments of excitement and moments of despair connect together to create a stimulating plot in which the reader is lost in their everchanging opinion of the events that are transpiring.  I find this unique connection to be one of Dark Matter’s greatest formatting achievements among many others.
Another formatting accent that Blake Crouch is wonderful at doing in Dark Matter would be how well he keeps the novel from sounding repetitive in minor details and changes.  These are scattered throughout the novel, and some are more noticeable than others.  One clear example would be the simplistic way of saying that the adventurers used ampoules, “AMPOULES REMAINING: 44” (Crouch, 260), and this happens many more times as well.  Another example would be the short passage where Jason keeps describing the different realities in short tidbits that keep each one unique and keep the reader from getting uninterested, “Yesterday, I saw myself on the Lakemont campus in a world where Daniela had died… Today, it’s a gorgeous afternoon in a Chicago where Jason Dessen died…” (Crouch, 310).  There are many more examples of these overlooked formatting wonders, but these two are a few examples of what to expect in the pleasant writing style.
Blake Crouch did an amazing job when writing his novel, Dark Matter.  The plot of the story is so intensely spontaneous and spoiler inducing that it creates an enigma of sorts.  This enigma would elude to how the events of the novel are unconnected, but it’s amazing how it does quite the opposite with these supposedly random, inexplicable occurrences.  Within these occurrences are the overlooked formatting wonders that Crouch hides throughout his novel.  The way he is able to create flawless transitions that aren’t repetitive allows the reader to stay interested while also allowing them to intake more information in a short span of time.  Dark Matter is truly a one of a kind read for any sci-fi readers that are looking for an intense plot with a fabulous format.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.   As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am tak