Skip to main content

Please Ignore Vera Dietz Book Review

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King can only be described as an experience. The book follows 17-year-old Vera Dietz in a journey of self-discovery starting with the death of her best friend Charlie Kahn. Although the cause of his death was seemingly known, only Vera knows what really happened to Charlie. This story follows her through two separate timelines, one of her past experiences in chronological order and the other of the present, that both contribute towards understanding her thought process as it leads up to the climax of her decision to either tell about or keep secret about the true circumstances of Charlie’s death. The plot that is described in a variety of different perspectives sends the reader on a wild thought process that leaves them confused as to whether or not Vera will come clean about the mysterious death of her longtime friend. The experience that is this book leaves a sense of pride and sympathy for the characters within the novel, and isn’t that all that’s required to make a book good? As said before, there is a sense of pride and sympathy to be found while reading through this story. This is especially extraordinary within this novel due to how the reader gets to view this through multiple characters’ perspectives. For example, up until one section where Charlie narrates there is a feeling of distaste for him as a person, “I was an idiot about Vera and about Jenny Flick… I wasn’t trying to hurt Vera. I wasn’t trying to impress the Detentionheads. I didn’t really even like them” (King, 118). This quote from the victim himself shows that he wasn’t as bad as he was described by other narrators in the chapters prior. There are many other examples like this throughout the novel but with other characters, such as Ken Dietz or even Vera herself, which only furthers the point that these characters inflict sympathy and pride about them unto the reader. This book is also great at putting unfortunate events into perspective. Throughout the novel, there are themes such as underage drug addiction, teenage pregnancy, bullying, abandonment, and domestic abuse. The entire plot follows these events within the characters not only to give them a depth of sorts but mainly to exemplify that this is the reality of the world and there are people out there that suffer to these examples and more. As Charlie Kahn puts it, “Why do people think there are clear answers for things anyway? There aren’t” (King, 205), there are no good answers as to why these things happen. King does a great job of showing that these tragedies are a real problem and there are consequences for them, but she also states many times in the writing that it’s not impossible to fix these problems. An obvious non-spoiler example would be the character Ken Dietz, a recovered alcoholic who had a kid around the age of 20 and was left by his wife only 12 years after. He leads a good life from the beginning of the book and an exemplary life by the end as a great father and a responsible human being. Ken is one of a few characters within this book that show no problem is impossible to overcome. Overall the book sends a great message as the story progresses. Please Ignore Vera Dietz was a great experience to enjoy with every chapter read. It had its highs and lows throughout the plot, especially due to how in-depth the characters felt. The growth seen within each person in the book made me care about if they would get the endings they deserved. They all had their hardships, but when they overcame them it gave me such a feeling of relief and joy. I would recommend this book especially to anyone who may feel lost in their problems or anyone who knows people who feel that way. The story is a great example of no matter how badly someone is trapped within their own predicament, there is always a way to find clarity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.   As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am tak