Skip to main content

TEDxCL Reflection


This Ted Talk is about how little actions can have large effects.  It also focuses on how many little actions can bind together also have a large effect.

Reflection

What I Knew (And didn’t know about my topic when I started out)
             The idea of cause and effect (I believe) is very prominent within our everyday lives, so of course, I knew how to bring it into my presentation.  However, the idea of causality was new to me but was nonetheless interesting to bring into the presentation.  Along with "cause and effect", I already knew the schools of philosophy I brought up (Existentialism, Relativism, Determinism) due to another thing I already knew about, the show "The Good Place".  Then there's also the whole idea of cause and effect within physics and ethics.  The ideas are brought up quite often in my life, probably due to how I go to U of D.

Why I Selected This Topic
             I selected the topic of "little actions having large effects" because I felt it was important to reflect on how every action matters.  I also thought about how interesting it would be to further educate myself on the idea of "cause and effect".  These were both valid reasons to select this topic for my Ted Talk, and it worked out great because I had years of experience participating in this idea.

What I Learned -- Research
             I'll start this part off by saying I didn't know about my section about "The Ecocap Movement".  Granted it was a part of my life, but it was years ago and I didn't remember it.  I learned of my participation within it from my mother and the actual statistics I taught myself through the archived articles about it on JFS (Japan For Sustainability) and Seiju Japan.
             There was also the most interesting part for me to learn about, causality.  I came across a very handy source that explains all about it and its integration in life.  This source was a written out lecture by J. Pearl, archived for anyone looking to learn about causality, and it just so happened that I came across it for that exact purpose.
             Something else that I had no idea about until I decided to look into it was the foundation behind Team Trees.  This foundation, The Arbor Day Foundation, is apparently the largest foundation dedicated to planting trees.  I didn't know anything about the foundation or that it was funded by the generous donations to Team Trees until I decided to include the tree-planting movement in my presentation

What I Learned -- Presentations
             Making my presentation proved slightly difficult in the time aspect.  I was really crunching hours when making my slides for three days in a row.  For two of those days, I ended up sleeping for at most four hours each.  It didn't have a great effect on how I performed during those days, but in the end, it was worth it.  I believe my slides came out exactly how I wanted them (excluding one transition that didn't work, despite going back and fixing it a number of times).
             I practiced a total of three times to three different groups, and I'll preface the following by saying that the conditions weren't ideal for myself.  The first time was a presentation via screen share and two of my friends.  At the time of this, I didn't have notecards and I couldn't remember all of what I needed to say.  The second time was with my parents in person.  I had notecards ready by the time I presented for them, but I couldn't read them all due to being sleep deprived from the day before.  The third time I was alone and simply read through my notecards while viewing my slides.  All of these had individual problems that together would have made for a terrible presentation.  Thankfully though, I learned from each mistake in these practice presentations and made good of them in my final.
             With all these new lessons learned I was ready to present.  Granted I could have kept practicing till I got it perfect, but as said before, time was an issue for me.  With that in mind though, I still think my presentation still went well.  Although I didn't end up using my notecards, they did help me study what I needed to say.  As said before, I think my slides came out great and my speech went well, so really that's all I can ask for.  In the future, I will keep trying to dedicate myself to making visual aids how I want them, but also try to maintain my sleep while doing so.  As for talking, I will practice more than three times and focus on having an actual live audience as well.

What the Audience Learned
             In this Ted Talk, I explained to the audience that every action of theirs matters, no matter how small it may be.  Its purpose was to make them more proactive about being more aware of their actions, hopefully leading them to make good choices.  I believe that my talk had an effect on my audience, despite it likely being minuscule.  By this, I mean that my main idea only restated what I believe my audience already knew.  I believe that my audience was aware of the idea I was trying to get across, so I really only ensured that they would be proactive about their choices.

Advice for Future Students
             For Future Students, I would greatly recommend being prepared for the day they present.  By this, I mean checking if all the slides are how they like it and if they have working transitions, practicing the speech many times, and writing notecards to further guide how the speech will go.  Of these three examples of advice, I would say that practicing the presentation is the most important.  This is the most vital part of preparation in my opinion because as the saying goes, "practice makes perfect".  Practicing the presentation would include having an audience to present to in person as well as having the other elements of the presentation finished and available.  I only practiced three times total and the result could have been better had I practiced more.  So in summation, practice your presentations on a live audience before the day you present because, in the end, it will help you greatly.  Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Contemporary Literature

1. What have your previous experiences with English classes been like?   My previous English classes in High School, I can say that most of them have been good.  Some of them had more work than the others, and some had teachers that I either liked or disliked more than one another. 2. Do you like to read?  Why or why not?   For me, reading is a complicated subject.  Not in the sense of difficulty, but rather in if I enjoy it or not.  Reading can be good if I chose to read a book on my own accord and it is intriguing, but typically if I am required to read a book, I do not enjoy it.  This isn't saying that I don't always enjoy required reading because there have been a few instances in which I do enjoy it.  For example, my favorite book was a required read from not that long ago. 3. What do you hope to get out of this Contemporary Literature class?   What I hope to get out of this class is a new understanding of reading altogether.  I don't usually read out of

Fantasy/Science Fiction

Do you like to read fantasy or science fiction?  Why or why not? Typically, I don't read, but when I do it's usually fiction.  There's something about a sense of something that isn't real that seems more interesting than reality.  I used to read all the time when I was younger, and all those books I did read were either fantasy or science fiction. What fantasy or science fiction location from a novel (or movie) is your favorite?  Would you want to go there yourself?  Why or why not? It may seem like a cliche, but I believe Earth in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be my favorite location of all the fiction books and movies I've read/seen.  I'm mainly interested in the aspect of the ancient arts, Doctor Strange's movie, in particular.  I would be very interested in going there myself due to how the magic they can produce is able to be done by anyone.  The idea that I would be able to participate in these practices without any special birthright/ta

Literacy Project Reflection

The poster you see right below is what I made for my literacy project.  There were other options for this project, such as making a video or creating/leading a twitter campaign.  I didn't choose those options for what I believe to be pretty good reasons.  Why I hadn't chosen to make a video was due to how it had been months since I had used an editing software, plus the last time I tried using it, it didn't work.  As for the twitter campaign, that would have required me to have some level of social skill, meaning that I am unaware of how to make any kind impact via social media.  With those other options in mind as not being right for me, it seemed correct to go along with making a poster.  Besides, it would have been good practice for some other classes I am taking.   As you can see, the poster has a stark but smooth design in which the books are the focus.  Those books in question are the very same as the required reading for the Contemporary Literature class I am tak